Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pet Peeve Alert! Grammar

Okay.

I've decided to blog about a serious pet peeve of mine that I encounter on an almost daily basis online.

It's a grammar issue.

As far as grammar goes, I may not be the best, but at least I make the attempt to be proper and when I suspect a problem, then I try to find the correct solution before I put something up for the world to see.

Here's my gripe.

I've noticed many business websites and craigslist ads that improperly use the word "then".

For example: "Our products are better "then" the competitors..."

The proper word is "than" not "then." "Then" is an adverb (modifies a verb) denoting a time element. "Than" does not. "Than" is a conjunction (similar to "and") denoting comparisons, like "Better than that" "Then" is more about "way back then".

It takes all of 30 seconds to look up a grammar issue on the internet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate when people do stuff like that!

Also another bad one is when people type, and they take out a vowel, or two letters because they are too lazy to type out the whole thing. Whats wrong with adding an a and an e so that you have "are"??? It looks better than "r" and y and o is not so hard to type... my gosh heaven forbid you should spell "you" instead of "u"!!! It annoys me to no end! I saw one today, someone kept typing "tht" instead of "that". Hello, it only takes a NANOSECOND to type an A!!!!!!

Okay I need to stop before I go too far.