Saturday, June 21, 2008

Science teacher scolded for pushing religion to the point of physcial punishment.

This is why we don't want "creation science" or creationism taught in science classrooms.

It not only confuses students, but it opens the door for religious whack jobs to impose their beliefs on students. That's wrong plain and simple.

I attended private school and my high school biology teacher was a staunch baptist. Not once during my high school education was evolution mentioned, except to deride it as morally wrong.

When I got to college, my high school science education served as a handicap. I struggled with reconciling what I learned in high school with what the world at large deemed scientific truth.

Finally, science won out and I went full bore into evolutionary studies.

So, the result of attempting to "hide the truth" from me had the opposite effect to what my biology teacher wanted. I left the church and became one of those damned "secular humanists."

The teacher in the CNN story is just my high school biology teacher all over again, except this time he'll probably get nailed for advocating a religion instead of actually teaching science like he was hired to do.


No comments: