Monday, June 16, 2008

Pharmacists' dogma trumps doctors' medical training and patients' needs at certain pharmacies.

The Washington Post has a troubling story about some Drug Stores increasingly imposing their beliefs on women.

I will be the first to defend a person's right to believe what they wish. But, and this is a very big "but", I draw the line when those beliefs run up against another's rights.

I advocate the utilitarian argument for rights, specifically: "The right to swing your arm ends where my nose begins."

Don't know who said it, but I think it spot on in this instance.

Let me give you an example from the legal profession: If I happen to be in the court room when the judge decides to appoint me to represent a murderer, I can't just refuse to take the case because I'm morally opposed to murder. I took an oath to uphold the law and to do that requires I insure all accused receive a fair trial.

Similarly, pharmacists who substitute their "beliefs" for the medical decisions of a doctor are violating their lawful duty. Likewise, when a pharmacist imposes their "beliefs" on a woman in need of medical help, then the pharmacist has violated their duty.

I suppose my point is this: If someone doesn't want to dispense drugs that they believe could result in an abortion or prevent a pregnancy, then perhaps they shouldn't be in the profession that is legally charged with dispensing those items in the first place.

Welcome to the stupidity of right wing ideology folks.

No comments: