Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bush Administration placed ideology above the Constitution.

Is anyone really surprised by this report?

The Bush administration not only exercised an ideological purity test, akin the the Gestapo's litmus test for handing out jobs. They also lied about it.

I have first hand experience with the ideological side of political hiring.

While living in Washington back in 2004-2005, I sought government employment as an attorney.

When I asked for some assistance as to contacts and suggestions from my home state Senator--Bill Frist--I was advised that I needed to write him a letter explaining in graphic detail the nature and extent of loyalty to the Republican agenda.

What I found truly galling was that I was specifically instructed to spell out my loyalty to and adherence to Christianity.

As an attorney, well-versed in the Constitution, I was thoroughly offended that I was expected to pass some religious guantlet as well as an ideological purity test.

It took me days to get over my anger.

My desire to serve overcame my anger at the Republican's ignorance of the Constitution and using my legal skill, I drafted a letter that punted on the requested purity tests, while speaking highly of my country and parents.

I was never called back.

I'm so glad Bush and his wingnuts are gone. Those who seek to serve should not be turned away because of their loyalty to country over or church.

No comments: