Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Too much cleanliness is a bad thing.

I follow the George Carlin philosphy on cleanliness, namely, if I get poop on my hands I wash, but otherwise I don't.

Carlin pointed out to humorous effect that when growing up he swam in the East River where people dump sewage. He swears he never got sick and the experience made his immune system stronger.

Well, it seems George was correct. Studies suggest that too much cleanliness actually makes allergies worse.

I couldn't agree more. I have a friend that carries Purell and washes incessantly when in public. It doesn't seem to work because he gets sick more than anyone I know.

Me, on the other hand? I get a cold or the flu maybe once every 3 years, if that.

I'd much rather pass up the regular dose of disease and if that happens because I don't sanitize myself to death, then goody for me.

No comments: