Monday, October 20, 2008

Powell endorsement of Obama more complex than racist reductionists allow

General Colin Powell endorses Obama.

Right-wing talk radio host, Rush Limbaugh, resorts to racial reductionism by claiming Powell's endorsement is based entirely on race.

I suppose we should expect nothing less from radio's demagogue-in-chief. He does nothing, but spread simple-minded reasons for his simple-minded audience.

I think Colin Powell has more complexity and gravitas than to resort to race as the single most salient factor for choosing his candidate.

General Powell is siding with history. He's also showing the world that more important things inform his attitudes and opinions than mere party loyalty.

Let the Republicans play the race card. It will blow up in their faces. History will bear this out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that he did that yesterday. I wondered if he did it based on race, or if he was really showing his support. However, it appears to me that he did base it on race, because although he is endorsing Obama... that appears to be all he is willing to do, from what I can tell thus far.

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way... heres food for thought.

Powell was in the Bush administration, and I am sure he knows that could make him look bad to lots of people. Maybe his reason for endorsing Obama is becausse a lot of people know he was in the Bush administration, which might make people who dont like Powell or Bush, etc vote against him. This guy is telling people to vote for Obama... but what if people look at who he has worked with and take it as a reason to vote AGAINST Obama? Master plan in disguise perhaps?

I had that better thought out earlier.... but anyway, it was a thought that crossed my mind, and I thought I would send it your way.