Monday, April 21, 2008

2nd Amendment

Well, it seems that my prediction about the 2nd Amendment case (Heller) recently decided by the Supreme Court is turning out to be correct.

I posted on scotusblog.com back in November '07. Here's the direct link:

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/commentary-the-government-and-gun-rights/

Apparently, some took offense and decided to make an ad hominem attack in the blog. Fortunately, others found my comments of value.

I think my particular position on the Constitution befuddles those who like to pigeon-hole people as being either liberal or conservative.

On the one hand, my views seem rather liberal, especially when dealing with individual rights and the purpose of the Constitution. On the other hand, those of the liberal camp view me as being rather conservative when I advocate for less government and so forth.

I describe myself as being a Democratic Libertarian. Libertarians find this definition difficult to swallow, but it isn't really if you think about it.

In a nutshell, I think the Constitution and the founding fathers sought to protect individual rights and that any expansion of those rights is favored under law. The government's purpose is to protect individual rights and to do everything in its power to relieve individual citizens of obligations beyond an individual's power.

Government is in the best position perform certain functions that individuals cannot. Like maintain a military stop monopolies, and generally take on actors whose power is far in excess of individuals standing alone.

1 comment:

aleks martin said...

Certainly more of a "Democratic Libertarian" than Mike Gravel, who seemed to think being a (big "l") Libertarian required nothing more than chanting "Power to the people" at the Convention. This is reassuring. I'll never miss a lecture again.

Unfortunately, you didn't address Scalia's two-stepping on-the-fence ultra-hyphenated wimpiness in defending the 2nd Amendment in Heller which still allows D.C. (or Chicago et. al. for that matter) to circumvent the natural right by onerous regulations, or maybe I just didn't see it. Oh well.