Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Country music is a little slow on the uptake in the political game

Finally someone other than me has spoken the truth about Country Music.

Ironically, it is the New Republic that carried the story.

I've bemoaned the state of country music for years. It ceased being country and morphed into country-flavored pop music.

This occurred when the Nashville music scene was invaded by New York and L.A. music business transplants. They couldn't make it in pop, so they moved to Nashville, changed country music to fit their tastes, and show us bumpkins how it was really done.

What are we left with? Crap.

Country music made the mistake of cozying up with the Right. That was a big mistake, but typical of Nashville. Nashville doesn't have the balls to strike out on its own, so it waits to see how the wind blows, then jumps on the bandwagon.

Unfortunately, the bandwagon shifted and is going the other direction.

Natalie Maines is having the last laugh on Toby Keith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Natalie Maines is having the last laugh on Toby Keith."

AHAHAHAH love that (:

I totally agree, country music needs to return to our radios.
Although I do like the 'new country', I like it as POP music. Not country.

So yes. Thanks for posting that =D

Anonymous said...

I have been saying this for years!!!! Country music is CRAP today! There are only a few decent newer artists on the market today that I would even consider buying.... Miranda Lambert. Okay fine thats one. I cant think of the others right now. I have always been considered the weird one amongst my age group. Not because I like country... but because I like OLD country. Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, etc. If I have the choice, I much rather listen to Reba McEntire all day long than an hour of the drivel on country radio today. And THEN some of these newer artists have the AUDACITY to call themselves outlaws.... but their stuff sounds exactly like everyone elses. It amazes me how some of these songs get put on the radio. Every new single that comes out is worse than the last. Some of the artists cant sing worth a lick, others write worse than they sing, and everyone thinks they are soooo cool because they have this record deal. Your not cool with a record deal if all you can do is look good.

And dont even get me started on the ones that are overdoing the southern accent. I wont ever stop.

Thank you for posting this, I am sooo glad to see someone else willing to put out there that country music today SUCKS!!!




P.S. I recently heard you sing and think you have a lovely voice. If being a lawyer stops working out for you, maybe you can be the start of the revolution that turns that music back to country ;)